[Starkit] auto_execok and Starpacks

Joey Mukherjee joey at swri.edu
Mon Aug 15 11:52:27 CEST 2005

The thing is the functions no longer match the documentation if the
object in question is a starpack; so to me, that seems wrong.

Rather than having a new set of commands to manipulate the starpacks,
old commands no longer work unless you are working in the confines of a
starpack.

Am I really the only one bothered by this?

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of being able to have a self
mounting file system, but I feel old code should not be broken,
especially if no workarounds are possible.

On Aug 11, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Jeff Hobbs wrote:

>> It seems as if none of the file or glob commands work on the file
>> either.   This is a little bit more onerous for me anyway.  The
>> auto_execok was easy enough to work around, but do all the file and
>> glob commands also have to be dysfunctional on the starpack?  Even if
>> the starpack was totally read only, I wish it would show up as a file
>> so things like "file mtime" would work.
>
> They are not dysfunctional - they are doing their job.  This
> is the entire design of starpacks - that you can turn yourself
> into an extended file system.
>
> Jeff

Joey