[Starkit] Re: sdx update question
jcw at equi4.com
Tue Jul 25 19:34:00 CEST 2006
> When I run
> sdx.kit update slidem.kit
> sdx seems to just sit. The file isn't so large; doesn't seem like
> it should
> be taking on the orders of several minutes to process... maybe
> reaching into
> 10+ minutes.
Turns out that a number of really old starkits use a convention which
is no longer supported. It's a VFS <-> MK mapping detail and has
been obsolete for at least 3 years - it actually stems from the
"scripted documents" era.
I found four starkits in sdarchive which were still using this
slidem, tinyba, tinytask, and tinyticker
I've changed them all manually, as shown in the transcript below:
% mk::file open db slidem.kit
% mk::get db.dirs!0
name <root> parent 0
% mk::set db.dirs!0 parent -1
The gory details: with parent 0, sdx enters an infinite loop while
recursing through the VFS. The 2006-02-27 change in TclVFS's
probably caused this - i.e. it makes SDX and any other VFS traversal
code using it run away with those obsolete "parent = 0" files.
Thanks for letting me know about this.
More information about the Starkit